Nicholas McCarthy was born without his right-hand; a minor set-back for such a tenacious and committed individual, who, at 14, turned his attention to playing the piano. Unfortunately, some people didn’t think this was a worthwhile pursuit. Refused entry to a local music school and told he was ‘wasting his time’, Nicholas used others’ doubt and rejection to propel his journey to stardom. Accepted into the distinguished and world-renowned Royal College of Music, Nicholas became the first left-handed student to graduate in the college’s 130-year history. Recently signed to Warner Music, Nicholas has toured the world with his left-handed repertoire; performed alongside Coldplay for the 2012 Paralympics closing ceremony, and is living-proof that the word ‘no’ should never be an obstacle to achieving our goals.
Nicholas McCarthy appears by kind permission of Warner Classics.
In this episode, you will learn:
- What inspired Nicholas McCarthy to start playing the piano at 14-years old.
- How Nicholas dealt with rejection by the teacher who told him he’d ‘never be a pianist.’
- How he convinced his parents to pay for piano lessons.
- How he combats the negativity of doubters.
- How being told not to audition for college motivated Nicholas further.
- How running enhances Nicholas’ musical performance and stamina.
- What frustrates Nicholas about the public’s perception of ‘classical music.’
- How and why we should inspire children with classical music.
- How it feels to play alongside Coldplay.
Subscribe and never miss a show!
Throw us a Bone?
Can you support our quest to reach more ears worldwide and encourage as many people as possible to live off the ropes; a life lived optimally, despite obstacles and free from restraint?
You don’t need to make a banner, stand on your roof and shout ‘Listen to the Off the Ropes podcast, folks!’ Nope, just a simple share via the social media icons, or a review on iTunes, Stitcher, Tune-in would be very much appreciated. And if you’d like to receive weekly words of inspiration, as well as hear from fascinating guests who’ve overcome adversity to achieve greatness, sign-up and join our gang (keep going to the bottom of this page and you’ll see the sign-up form).
Keep seeking friends; the truth is out there!