Dave Cornthwaite took his conventional, meaningless life, turned it upside down, inside out and shook it vigorously. Creating a life which is fulfilling, liberating and enormously enjoyable. A serial adventurer on a mission to inspire others, Dave’s list of awesome accomplishments is huge and every-growing. To date, he has skate-boarded across the entire length of Australia, pedal-kayaked across the Baltic Sea, swam 1000 miles of the Missouri river, and stand-up paddle-boarded 2400 miles of the Mississippi – the first person to do so. Challenges which form part of his adventurer’s bucket-list, his ‘Expedition 1000’, a life-affirming endeavour comprising 25 journeys of 1000 miles or more, each using a different form of non-motorised transport. Why? Because Dave doesn’t want to waste his one precious life on simply existing. He wants to truly live! Catch him before he embarks on his next escapade to scoot the length of Japan!
- The day Dave knew his life needed to change.
- Why he chose to skateboard across the UK, & then Australia, and how it changed his life.
- Why he prefers to adventure solo.
- How we can make a living doing the things we love.
- The difficulty with stepping away from the pack.
- How & why to turn away from criticism and doubt.
- Balancing contentment and ambition.
- Why he lives on a boat.
- Why children shouldn’t prevent you from leading an adventurous life.
- Expedition 1000 – 25 journeys of 1000+ miles on a new non-motorised form of transport.
- Why he doesn’t train for his challenges.
- Managing the mental and physical side-effects of adventuring.
- Risk assessing each challenge.
- Creating the Yestival festival.
- Funding his adventures.
- The ease and accessibility of micro-adventures.
- Practising the act of kindness.
Subscribe and never miss a show!
Books by Dave Cornthwaite:
Today’s Off the Ropes episode whetted your appetite for adventure? Have a listen to these:
Prefer your inspiration on the page? Have a read of our most recent posts:
If you enjoyed today’s show, you should subscribe to our bi-weekly non-spammy newsletter. Look out for Wise Words Wednesday (accessible not waffly advice on how to live optimally) & Friday’s notification of our latest podcast episode. Scroll to the bottom of this page and sign-up (we pinkie promise not to flog your email address to rogue overseas’ agents eager to sell you their counterfeit wares).
Can you support our quest to reach more ears worldwide and encourage as many people as possible to live off the ropes; a life lived optimally, despite obstacles and free from restraint? A simple share via the social media icons, or a review on iTunes would be very much appreciated.